Wildcare Inc. NT Becoming a carer
Wildcare NT Inc.
Possum cage


When thinking of becoming a carer it is important to take into consideration the animals requirements and the amount of time you are willing to commit. Although handraising can be a very enjoyable and rewarding experience it can also be quite distressing sometimes. All animals that are nursed back to health are released back into a suitable habitat after a rehabilitation process. A big percentage of animals do actually make it back into the wild.

Most young animals are handraised by carers. This can be very demanding as a younger animal may need 5 or 6 feeds per day. Older injured animals often only require morning and/or afternoon feeds and are not as demanding. Empty cages in the backyard could be put to good use for rehabilitating older, injured animals.

Wildcare members absorb the total cost of all foods, medication, vet fees, rehabilitation and relocation. Wildcare is an entirely volunteer organisation and will support and assist carers in anyway they can such as buying bulk foods to lower prices.

As a member of Wildcare you are insured against any injury caused as a result of caring for native animals.

Meetings and Functions for Wildcare Inc are held throughout the year - see the Events page.

To become a wildcare member send in the completed     Membership Form

All Carers must have a current Rescue Permit issued by Parks and Wildlife.
You can obtain your permit by contacting the Parks & Wildlife Permit Officer
(08) 89994486; between 8am to 4pm, from Monday to Friday,
emailing   pwpermits.nreta@nt.gov.au    or
sending a completed   Permit Form.


© 2008 | Last updated on 10 February 2008